Monday, February 19, 2007

Chennai Rediscovered !



My Mom had been asking me to read this book by S.Muttiah since my childhood. Madras Rediscovered speaks about the history of Chennai ( madras ). When i managed to qualify for the mastermind semifinals at my office i decided to take up this book as my specialization so that i could have a look at it. Now 3 months after the semifinals i read the book and it was really worthwhile. The book starts with the discovery of madras city by Francis Day after East India company obtained a small strip of land from king Venkata-3 and it's divided in many chapters including business houses , sports , education etc. There is a mention of my maternal grandfather's name in this book as he was one of the founding members of the Madras Cricket Club (MCC).This book is a must for all those people who were born and brought up in Chennai. This book is available at Landmark for Rs 320.